Facebook has released its Memeology 2011 review looking back at the year’s hottest trends on the world’s largest social
“Memology takes the pulse of this global community by comparing this year’s status updates to last year’s, unearthing the most popular topics and cultural trends – or memes – emerging on Facebook,” explains Facebook data scientist Jonathan Chang in a post on the Facebook Blog.
As Facebook’s usership soared to over 800 million this year, the rate at which breaking news spread across the network also increased. The company has released data on the news that spread the fastest across the site’s global population. A list of the top 10 hottest topics includes extreme weather, the deaths of three public figures, a royal wedding, the outcome of a huge sporting event and more. According to Chang’s post, the most-talked about topic on Facebook in 2011 accounted for “almost 10 percent of all status updates in English” on May 1.
- Death Of Osama Bin Laden – The death of Osama bin Laden became the most talked about event on Facebook for 2011. On May 1, almost 10 percent of all status updates in English mentioned news of his death.
- Packers Win The Superbowl - Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers celebrates with the trophy after the Packers defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers 31-25 in the NFL Super Bowl XLV football game at Cowboys Stadium on February 6, 2011 in Arlington, Texas.
- Casey Anthony Found Not Guilty - Casey Anthony, a Florida woman who was accused of murdering her daughter Caylee Anthony, reached fever pitch. Status updates mentioning Caylee Anthony peaked on July 5, the day her mother was acquitted.
- Charlie Sheen - Charlie Sheen captured people’s attention in March, when his trademark “winning,” “tiger blood” and “goddesses” memes took off.
- Death Of Steve Jobs
- The Royal Wedding - The marriage of Kate Middleton and Prince William dominated the conversation in April, with mentions of the phrase “Royal Wedding” shooting up nearly 600-fold in the days running up to their wedding day.
- Death Of Amy Winehouse - The year was also marked by outpourings of sadness and memories after the deaths of Amy Winehouse in July
- AOL Hottest Searches of 2011: Charlie Sheen, Casey Anthony & Harry Potter (searchenginewatch.com)