Justin Bieber has become the first person in history to get 2 billion views on YouTube according to social media monitoring company Famecount.
It seems only fair that Bieber should be the one to break this record, since his career may never have been possible without YouTube. According to a Billboard profile, the Canadian teen began posting videos of himself singing cover songs at age 12. The videos were discovered by a talent scout, Bieber was signed to Usher’s record label, and four years later he’s so famous that a lock from his formerly floppy hair sold for over $40,000 on eBay earlier this year.
YouTube has long relied on user-generated content, like that of the young Bieber, but that may be changing. On Friday, Google’s video site announced that they would be adding 100 new video channels with original content paid for by YouTube. Celebrities who are already signed on to make videos include Madonna, Amy Poehler, Shaquille O’Neal and Deepak Chopra.
Check out our List below to see which stars are getting the most play on YouTube.
- Justin Bieber - Total upload views of the Justin Bieber’s official Youtube channel: 2,005,750,829
- Lady Gaga - Total upload views of the Lady Gaga’s official YouTube channel: 1,884,714,763
- Rihanna - Total upload views of the Rihanna’s official YouTube channel: 1,715,373,887
- Eminem - Total upload views of the Eminem’s official YouTube channel: 1,518,412,058
- Shakira - Total upload views of the Shakira’s official YouTube channel: 1,219,321,792
- Black Eyed Peas - Total upload views of the Black Eyed Peas’ official YouTube channel: 1,114,831,071
- Britney Spears - Total upload views of Britney Spears’ official YouTube channel: 1,016,386,053
- Beyonce - Total upload views of Beyonce’s official YouTube channel: 1,015,063,204
- Chris Brown - Total upload views of Chris Brown’s official YouTube channel: 869,800,231
- Have you subscribed to our YouTube channel yet? (community.tradeking.com)
- Justin Bieber Sets YouTube Record, Hits 2 Billion Views (eonline.com)