Steve Jobs has stepped down from his position of Apple CEO, a role he has held since 1997.
Tim Cook takes over as CEO at the board’s recommendation. Reactions to the news have been streaming in on Twitter.
Read Jobs’s resignation letter below:
To the Apple Board of Directorsand the Apple Community:I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.
I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.
As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.
I believe Apple’s brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.
I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.
Read more about the news, including Apple’s response, here.
- Steve Jobs’ Resignation Letter (mashable.com)
- Steve Jobs Resigns From Apple (justjared.buzznet.com)
- Steve Jobs’ Resignation Letter (997now.radio.com)
- Steve Jobs Resigns As CEO From Apple (alan.com)
- Steve Jobs’ Resignation Letter (shortformblog.tumblr.com)
- Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO – Reuters (stoweboyd.com)