Over 1,00,000 followers on Facebook; over 7 lakh people express their solidarity through phone lines
Satyagraha finds its way onto new media, after Facebook, Twitter and SMS added teeth to social activist Anna Hazare‘s crusade against corruption. Hazare’s protest involves him fasting until death till the government agrees to table the Lokpal Bill, which puts corrupt politicians to accountability and scrutiny by an independent body. In practically no time, the Facebook page of Hazare’s India Against Corruption movement garnered over 1,00,000 followers.
The campaign for Lokpal Bill spread onto Twitter as well in the form of janlokpal account, in addition to many celebrity accounts taking up cudgels on Hazare’s behalf. Additionally, group SMSes urging people to ping 022-61550789 to express their support for the cause were sent out by anti-corruption campaigners. A whopping 7 lakh missed calls were recorded, which is a good indicator public anger against the scourge.
Hopefully, Facebook and Twitter will prove to be the same catalyst that they turned out in the Egypt protests.
- Anna Hazare protest popular on Facebook (panasianbiz.com)
- Anna Hazare Facebook, Twitter, and SMS Appeal (pamil-visions.net)
- I support Anna Hazare! (strikingarrow.com)
- Anna Hazare, Lokpal Bill and the Red Brigade (sharma24.wordpress.com)
- Anna Hazare announces indefinite fast for passing of Lokpal Bill (panasianbiz.com)
- Aamir stands up for Anna Hazare (aamirkhanblog.wordpress.com)
- Mohanbabu’s rally to support Anna Hazare – IndiaGlitz (news.google.com)
- Anna Hazare Fasting Until Death or Change (pamil-visions.net)
- What is Lokpal Bill and what does this mean to a common Indian ? (kish.in)
- Hazare rejects Pawar”s offer to quit from Lokpal Bill GoM (news.bioscholar.com)