According to a Consumer Reports study, over 7.5 million of Facebook’s users are under 13, a problem Senator Jay Rockefeller recently called “indefensible.” But CEO Mark Zuckerberg has said that kids should be allowed on Facebook at a very young age.
In an interview with John Doerr, first reported by Fortune, Zuckerberg said that the future of education will be enabled by technology, including social networks like Facebook. Currently, Facebook does not allow children under 13 to join, which Zuckerberg says is due to the restrictions regarding such members. But according to Fortune, Zuckerberg says he hopes all that will change.
“That will be a fight we take on at some point,” he said. “My philosophy is that for education you need to start at a really, really young age.”
Facebook has faced ongoing scrutiny over privacy concerns. In a recent study of 65 participants, all 65 found that they were sharing information through Facebook that they had believed private. Another report, by Symantec, reported that millions of users’ profile information had been leaked through over 100,000 third-party apps. Facebook currently allows users to share home addresses and cellphone numbers with third-party apps.
Alongside privacy problems, Facebook also presents the potential for a variety of other cyber-dangers. Consumer Reports found that over 5 million households had had serious issues on the site, including identity theft, scams, computer viruses, and cyberbullying.
Facebook is also currently being sued for failing to get parental permission before using minors’ personal information in its social ads.
Despite all of this, Zuckerberg promises that if children were allowed on the site, that proper security measures would be taken.
“Because of the restrictions we haven’t even begun this learning process,” Zuckerberg said. “If they’re lifted then we’d start to learn what works. We’d take a lot of precautions to make sure that they [younger kids] are safe.”
source :- http://www.huffingtonpost.com
- Minor controversy: Zuckerberg wants young kids on Facebook (news.cnet.com)
- Mark Zuckerberg Wants Kids Under 13 To Use Facebook (techie-buzz.com)
- Zuckerberg: Kids under 13 should be on Facebook (tech.fortune.cnn.com)
- Mark Zuckerberg: Facebook minimum age limit should be removed (zdnet.com)
- Zuckerberg Wants Kids Under 13 on Facebook [Blockquote] (gizmodo.com)
- Kids Under 13 Should Use Facebook, Zuckerberg Says (allfacebook.com)
- Indianapolis Attorney Named Mark Zuckerberg Cannot Join Facebook (shoppingblog.com)
- Facebook reportedly disables account of attorney Mark S. Zuckerberg (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- Senator Rockefeller confronts Facebook over Consumer Reports findings (news.consumerreports.org)
- Mark Zuckerberg Suggests Kids Under 13 Should Be Allowed On Facebook (blogoholic.in)
- The Onion: Mark Zuckerberg Is a CIA Agent [SATIRE] (mashable.com)
Powered by Facebook Comments