Uses your profile information to give you news relevant to your profession
LinkedIn unveiled its brand new service LinkedIn Today at a press conference today in California. The new service is a news aggregator that uses your LinkedIn account information to generate a feed of relevant news stories. The service uses an algorithm to analyze the details in your profile to determine the kind of stories that would be conducive to your profession.
The service also allows news stories to be flagged in either from LinkedIn or from Twitter for those who have linked their Twitter accounts with LinkedIn. A similar effort is under way to incorporate Facebook likes to flag stories in a similar manner, but no immediate Facebook support is available at the moment. There’s also a plan to place LinkedIn share buttons on major news websites. LinkedIn’s iPhone app will also get Today service.
Check out the screenshot to see how the top story slideshow looks like. As expected the stories are relevant to your industry, so a tech journalist will get geeky feeds while someone more politically inclined will be have his feed full of scams and the likes. The stories get the typical LinkedIn networking tweak by displaying who shared the story and along with “Sections” of the main being created from each users’ LinkedIn profiles. You can add news stories from other fields as well.
LinkedIn Today seems to be more than a mere aggregator. It’s smart algorithm based feed uses your professional details to provide relevant news and also adds a social twist to the mix by letting professionals interact by sharing news stories, leading to conversations, contacts and hence job/business opportunities.
Source -: Techtree.com
- LinkedIn launches personalised news feed (telegraph.co.uk)
- LinkedIn launches news aggregation service, LinkedIn Today (facebeyond.wordpress.com)
- LinkedIn Launches News Aggregator (mediabistro.com)
- Today On LinkedIn Today (searchenginepeople.com)
- LinkedIn reaches 100 million members (telegraph.co.uk)
- LinkedIn Launches “LinkedIn Today” – Tips Marketers Need to Know (hubspot.com)
- LinkedIn Launches Social News Service (huffingtonpost.com)
- LinkedIn launches personal news service (news.cnet.com)
- LinkedIn Launches Social News Site for Professionals (readwriteweb.com)
- How LinkedIn Today Will Change Your Social Media Life (fastcompany.com)