In an answer to Google’s Twitter searches, Bing makes public likes searchable
Social networking is ubiquitous and the current trend now. It’s all pervading grip has now spread to search engines too. Google already has a social search with Twitter integrated into its results, but what’s lacking is Facebook in the social search arena. However, it isn’t for long because Facebook has partnered with Microsoft and the alliance see’s Facebook “Liked Results” being integrated into Bing searches.
Microsoft’s Bing team blog explains how it works:
“While we are very excited to talk about our next development, we’re all aware that it’s all part of a longer journey. This is the first time in human history that people are leaving social traces that machines can read and learn from, and present enhanced online experiences based on those traces. As people spend more time online and integrate their offline and online worlds, they will want their friends’ social activity and their social data to help them in making better decisions. Integrating with Twitter data 16 months ago was one step, and exploring Facebook’s rich streams is another.”
For those concerned about privacy, only the publicly liked links will be available on the search engine, but that still leaves the possibility of unsolicited likes by friends being included in the links. However, that is a moot point because the whole point of friend system is to have people you trust. Moreover, Bing mentions that not all Facebook “Liked Results” will not show up in searches. The partnership harks to a new trend of the social foray of the two players in the search engine market.
- Bing Search Improves Facebook Integration (ghacks.net)
- Bing Turns to Facebook for new Social Search Results (webmonkey.com)
- Bing Adds Facebook ‘Likes’ To Search Results (informationweek.com)
- Bing Now Displays Facebook Likes In-Line With Search Results (insidefacebook.com)
- Bing Increases Integration With Facebook Likes (seroundtable.com)
- Bing Expands Facebook Integration With Search (allfacebook.com)
- Bing integrates Facebook likes in search results (zdnet.com)
- Bing Is Catching Up to Google (couchcontent.com)
- Bing Integrates Facebook Likes Further Into Its Search Results (searchengineland.com)
- Bing Milks Facebook Even More With Liked URL’s (fastgush.com)