Facebook is partnering with online music and video companies for the launch of a new feature that will integrate outside media into profile pages, according to a new report.
The new feature will take the shape of a widget or tab on the user’s profile page, according to The New York Times. It will display the songs a user listens to the most and provide a method for friends to listen to and share those songs. Facebook will do the same thing for video and television content.
The social network has reportedly been talking to various media companies about integrating their content to Facebook’s new feature, including Spotify. Earlier this week, rumors about a potential Spotify and Facebook partnership made the rounds. The rumors made it seem like Facebook had chosen Spotify to power a Facebook music service. NYT reports however that Facebook doesn’t want to tie itself to just one music service, but instead wants multiple partners for its media platform.
Imagine if you could see what your friends were watching on Netflix or listening to on Pandora from their Facebook pages. Now imagine if you could also see their recommendations and access their content with a single click. It could turn Facebook into the web’s central hub for multimedia content. Media content and recommendations could give Facebook a new engagement layer that would compel its users to stay on the site for longer.
Facebook wants to become the operating system of the web. That much was clear when it acquired web operating system Parakey in 2007. In order to be the web’s central dashboard though, it needs to have access to the music, movies, TV shows and books of its users. This new feature seems designed to do exactly that. We’ll let you know if we hear more about this Facebook feature.
Source :- http://mashable.com
- Facebook Wants to Become the Web’s Central Hub for Music & Video [REPORT] (mashable.com)
- Facebook reportedly partnering with Spotify for music service (venturebeat.com)
- Spotify may come to U.S. shores through Facebook (macworld.com)
- Amidst Spotify Rumors, Facebook CEO Talks Music & Media (gigaom.com)
- Rumor: Facebook is partnering with Spotify (zdnet.com)
- Facebook Collaborating with Spotify to Offer Streaming Music (techie-buzz.com)
- Facebook & Spotify To Launch Streaming Music Service [REPORT] (mashable.com)
- Facebook Taps Spotify for Streaming Music Powers (but It’s Still Not Ready for the U.S.) [Unconfirmed] (gizmodo.com)