Assange said he believes Facebook is a giant database of names and records about people, maintained voluntarily by its users but developed for U.S. intelligence to use.
While Assange doesn’t claim that Facebook is actually run by U.S. intelligence agencies, the fact that they have access to its records is — in his view — dangerous enough.
“Now, is the case that Facebook is run by U.S. intelligence? No, it’s not like that. It’s simply that U.S. intelligence is able to bring to bear legal and political pressure to them,” he said.
Assange also weighed in on the subject of secret government cables released by WikiLeaks, claiming the really important ones haven’t been exposed yet.
“We only released secret, classified, confidential material. We didn’t have any top secret cables. The really embarrassing stuff, the really serious stuff wasn’t in our collection to release. But it is still out there,” he said.
At the end of the interview, Assange trashed the media industry, claiming it is heavily distorting reality to the public and doing too little to prevent wars and remove corrupt governments from power. “It really is my opinion that the media, in general, are so bad, we have to question whether the world would be better off without them altogether,” he said.
Source -: http://mashable.com
- Julian Assange: Facebook Is a Spy Machine [VIDEO] (mashable.com)
- Wikileaks Founder: Facebook is the most appalling spy machine that has ever been invented (thenextweb.com)
- WikiLeaks revelations only tip of iceberg – Assange (rt.com)
- Assange told of ASIO snooping (theage.com.au)
- Julian Assange tells students that the web is the greatest spying machine ever (terryolgin.wordpress.com)
- Julian Assange tells students that the web is the greatest spying machine ever (guardian.co.uk)
- WikiLeaks Julian Assange Claims “More Accountability” Than Governments (brainz.org)
- Bank of America to Further Ramp up Security With New CISO (pcworld.com)
- ‘Inside Job’ Director Tackles WikiLeaks and Julian Assange for HBO (screenrant.com)
- INSIDE JOB Director Charles Ferguson to Helm Film About WikiLeaks Founder Julian Assange for HBO (collider.com)