Google Chrome Warns Against Malicious Downloads
The browser now alerts users if the file being downloaded is malicious
Google boasts about several security features in its Chrome web browser. Now, Google has added one more feature in Chrome web browser which will alert users against malicious file downloads. Now that’s something every browser should ideally have so that users don’t have to be dependent on anti-malware programs. This experimental feature is currently made available to Chrome Development Channel for testing and initially, it will alert against malicious Windows executables.
This new alert against malicious file download could be too small to be noticed. At times, users are in such a hurry that they click on the ‘x’ (Close) on any pop-up message. So instead of showing an alert just above the status bar, something more attention drawing is required to make this feature actually useful.
Google Chrome has been offering features such as alerts the users against faulty websites that intend to inject malicious code in the user system. Google accumulates data about such websites and makes it available via Safe Browsing API. Several web browsers – Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari make use of Google’s Safe Browsing API to warn users if they happen to visit webpages that have been coded smartly to inject malware code in the system.
Google didn’t promise any date when the feature would be implemented and made available via a stable build of the Chrome browser.
Source -: http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Google_Chrome_Warns_Against_Malicious_Downloads/551-115023-643.html
- This File Appears To Be Malicious, Google Chrome Safe Browsing Protection (ghacks.net)
- Rumor: Get Google Chrome Web Browser will login Soon ? (huangyu860810.wordpress.com)
- Google’s Chrome Browser to Warn of Dangerous Downloads (pcworld.com)
- Google Chrome Stable Security Update April 2011 (ghacks.net)
- Google Chrome Browser Will Block Dangerous Downloads (pcworld.com)
- Chrome’s New Security Feature Will Protect You From Malicious Downloads (GOOG) (businessinsider.com)
- Google Chrome at 120 Million DAU, Chrome OS Set for Mid-Year (searchenginejournal.com)
- Google Chrome to warn of malicious Windows executables (go.theregister.com)
- Five Hot Features Coming to Google’s Chrome Browser (pcworld.com)
- Google Chrome and Chromium add protection against malicious downloads (downloadsquad.switched.com)